Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My Tio Ade

My Tio or "uncle" Ade was born with Down syndrome. Of course, no one knew this when he was born because he was birthed in a small town in Guatemala with no real medical equipment around. He was born a still baby with his twin brother, but only Tio Ade made it. The doctor told my grandma that her son was going to be sick forever, and that forever probably wouldn't be long. It took my uncle six years to talk and 11 years to learn to walk, but he did it. They said he'd never be more than a moving vegetable, but my uncle is a successful member of society. He works, he lives, and he loves more fully than anyone I’ve ever met. It is because of my Tio Ade that I have never given up. It may take me longer than others to achieve a goal, but if my Tio Ade can achieve his goals I can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment